Making sense

Anne Lamott, on writing ...

"We are a species that needs and wants to understand who we are. Sheep lice do not seem to share this longing, which is one reason why they write so little. But we do. We have so much we want to say and figure out.”

Monday, February 18, 2013

Gillian Flynn's got it goin' on ... if you love depraved people

Holy shitsnacks on a cracker.
Just finished Gillian Flynn's Sharp Objects, and the perverse ending affected me so severely that I had to run to the bathroom to get rid of some tuna salad. Thirty minutes post-last page, I am still nauseous. Sick to my core.
Sick mostly because I know people like the (disturbed) characters in Flynn's novel, one of whom resonates so deeply that I do not think I can look her in the (pink and watery) eye anytime soon.
Ironically (?), Flynn is from the Kansas City area, which has gotten me to thinking that maybe she and I have met the same person.
Could this even be possible?
What a twisted small world we live in ... .
***
I thought Gone Girl was bad enough. The ending to that book, however, didn't so much incite physical illness as emotional pissiness. I HATED the ending and literally threw the book across the room. I cursed it and planned to write Flynn a vitriolic email, centering on the lack of verisimilitude,  but my ADD saved me from penning something pathetic that would only have served to make me come across as a jealous, idiotic fan. I think I baked brownies instead and swallowed my feelings.
***
What endears me about Flynn's writing, and what keeps me from staying up past my bedtime to read more ... more ... more, is that this chick's pen is inherently mean and taunting, and damned if her characters, as such, aren't realistic and in your face, like asshole-ish people are out in the real world.
I don't think she could write a sympathetic character if her editor demanded it ("Please, Gillian, please create a character that readers can like, for once, please try ~"). Instead, her characters are mostly repulsive in nature and occasionally, one-twentieth of the time, an eensy-beensy-bit kind, like the kid who bullies everyone in junior high and then you find out he sends all his lawnmowing money to Jerry Lewis's Muscular Dystrophy Foundation.
Furthermore, Flynn's writing, which uses fuck liberally, will offend the easily offended. In fact, even I, who's liberal and out there concerning most things, found myself squirming in my reading chair more than once while reading Sharp Objects. Flynn's writing disturbs and delights me simultaneously.

Of course, books that have the power to affect me so severely are the kind of books I reach for time and time again, like some sick addict after the crack pipe, or, in my case, a foodaholic reaching for the sixth brownie.

Can't wait to get my hands on Flynn's other book ... .

No comments: