Making sense

Anne Lamott, on writing ...

"We are a species that needs and wants to understand who we are. Sheep lice do not seem to share this longing, which is one reason why they write so little. But we do. We have so much we want to say and figure out.”

Friday, July 11, 2008

A car trip and shower

By bedtime tonight I will be sleeping in "The Elvis Room," the second-floor guestroom of a house on the Nebraska prairie that my husband and I built back in 1997. My mother-in-law and sister-in-law live there now. Located high on a hill on Church Road, thus named on account of the multitude of tall-steepled, stained-glass windowed churches that line the road (paved since '93), it was the finest home I have ever occupied. Gorgeous sunrise and sunset views. Built-in cabinetry in every single room. Six ... six, I say! ... lazy susans in the kitchen. Extraordinary craftsmanship.
Not my house anymore. Within 15 months of living in my dream home, Husband received a career location to Kansas City, Missouri.
Unbelievable! Fortunately, however, family now lives in the house, and so when I go to visit it really is like going home again.
Niece Emily's baby shower is slated for Saturday. There's a lot I love in this world, and any kind of celebration (bridal/baby) is icing on the cake!

1 comment:

Bee said...

So he passed your dream house on to his mother!

I don't really associate Nebraska with beauty, but you make it sound so lovely.

Have a good time --