Making sense

Anne Lamott, on writing ...

"We are a species that needs and wants to understand who we are. Sheep lice do not seem to share this longing, which is one reason why they write so little. But we do. We have so much we want to say and figure out.”

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Oh blessed day!

Victory.
God Bless Barack Obama.
Change, it is a-comin'!
I have never been so proud to be an American. Standing in line today, waiting to vote, observing those standing around me -- the nurse, the police officer, the mother holding a baby in a sling whilst two toddlers wrapped around her legs -- I was reminded of Walt Whitman's poem, "I Hear America Singing."
Sing on.
The music is going to be beautiful.

2 comments:

Bee said...

Kate, I really didn't know what a streak of patriotic pride I still had in me. I've been blubbing all day long . . . and I'm so proud of McCain, too, for a really gracious concession speech.

Susan said...

Hey, Kate ~

Woo hoo! - we did it!

My voting experience (shared with one of my sons) was positive as well... and, of course, we must revel in the stunning outcome - beautiful music indeed... :-)