Making sense

Anne Lamott, on writing ...

"We are a species that needs and wants to understand who we are. Sheep lice do not seem to share this longing, which is one reason why they write so little. But we do. We have so much we want to say and figure out.”

Thursday, June 4, 2009

That was fast ...

Two days ago I placed an order with Victorian Trading Co., and today -- yes, TODAY -- the order arrived. I hadn't paid for express shipping, so imagine my profound and delirious surprise to come home from the bookstore to find an enormous box sitting on my wicker settee.
YES!!!
My gosh, I do so love me some Internet shopping ... and I ADORE the vintage-style tea dress ... couldn't wait to try it on ... nearly tripped over the cat and a gigantic 18-pack of paper towels trying to get upstairs in record time. Now I need to buy the beautiful cameo necklace I'd admired earlier today at a boutique on the Square, Crybaby Farm. (Wonder if they have a Web site?!)
Additionally, I am looking forward to the next rainy day just so I can put to use my Monet-inspired handy-dandy Victorian Trading Co. umbrella. It's G-O-R-G-E-O-U-S!
Why does shopping make me so happy?
Earlier today, Elizabeth (my seventeen year old) and I went to Penney's. I headed to draperies and she headed to the Sephora counter. She's a cosmetics girl ... the apple sure doesn't fall far from the tree there! I too love makeup and all things girlie. (Currently I'm in search of an old-fashioned powder puff for talcum ... .)
Before leaving Penney's, I ended up buying a Waverly red/cream toile window dressing: panels and sheers and a valance -- and Elizabeth scored a "Girls Night In" gift set in a cute plastic tote.
My favorite purchase today, however, was picking up half a dozen "What a Hoot" note cards from Crybaby Farm. I intend to send one to Carol Cassella (author of OXYGEN, a novel I strongly recommend!) and then another to Elizabeth Berg, once I finish reading HOME SAFE. Berg's prose is simple and sweet, not too complicated, and although she's predictable, I appreciate her domestic details and heartfelt approach. I also bought Berg's OPEN HOUSE trade paper edition while at Border's today. Check out the first paragraph that hooked me into purchasing: "You know before you know, of course. You are bending over the dryer, pulling out the still-warm sheets, and the knowledge walks up your backbone. You stare at the man you love and you are staring at nothing: he is gone before he is gone."
I'm not sure if authors actually receive their "fan letters," but I'm an optimist. Besides, I really got a kick out of my letters and e-mails back when I wrote my newspaper column. There's a sense of validation, that what you're doing has merit and brings happiness to other people.
Corny but true.

1 comment:

Bee said...

I want to read that Berg novel.

Speaking of fan mail, I wrote an author (well, I emailed her from her website) and she emailed me back to thank me . . . and we have since had a thrilling and satisfying flurry of emails. Since I tend to put authors on pedestals, it kind of surprised me to learn how much the sincere and positive feedback of one person can mean.