Making sense

Anne Lamott, on writing ...

"We are a species that needs and wants to understand who we are. Sheep lice do not seem to share this longing, which is one reason why they write so little. But we do. We have so much we want to say and figure out.”

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Fall leaves, coffee, iPod, and poetry ... bliss!

I am home today from subbing. Had a high school French assignment scheduled for today, but canceled last evening because I wanted to get some homekeeping and writing done today. I tell you: this subbing thing is where it's at for me. The flexibility is delightlful. Yesterday I stood in for an elementary resource teacher. Saw several kindergarteners and first graders. They are so cute I just want to hug them and sniff their hair.
But today, well, today is mine. I've got a big beautiful roast in the oven, the dishwasher loaded, a batch of laundry spinning. I've got a stunning view of shrubbery aflame in cranberry and crimson; I've got some Amy Winehouse streaming ("So I brought you downstairs with a Marlboro red ... you probably saw me laughing at all your jokes ... ."). Miss Millie, my gorgeous little cocker, is gnawing on her enormous rawhide. And here I am, at my laptop, a poetry book to my left, a caramel latte to my right.
My God this life is good.

My poem post for today, chosen in homage to my husband's farming backgroud:

"No Tool or Rope or Pail"
~ Bob Arnold

It hardly mattered what time of year
We passed by their farmhouse,
They never waved,
This old farm couple

2 comments:

Bee said...

Hello dear Kate, I didn't know you were blogging again! Up popped this post, at the top of my dashboard.

It sounds like loads of things have changed in your life. You have a specific writing project? You've given up full-time teaching? I hope that we can get in sync again.

Kathleen Stander said...

Greetings, Bee~
I was just thinking of you as I was writing this particular post. How delightful that you just commented!
Yes, my career continues to evolve. Last May, it occurred to me that I could not -- did not --want to grade one more paper.
I hit the proverbial wall.
Didn't sign my contract. Decided to sub instead. Now, I pick my days; I pick my subjects; I pick my grade levels. The only downside is that my monthly paycheck is puny; also, my husband is displeased with my choice. I love my husband in the way that people love spouses they've been married to for 26 years, but it sets me to riding the crazy train when he pouts and grows more silent than usual regarding my lack of "important' income. I could smother him in his sleep.
Yes, I do have a specific writing project. Two of them, actually. One is a non-fiction accounting of my daily subbing experiences. I enjoy the writing, but in the back of my mind, I am constantly thinking, Is there even a market for this?
My second project is the bologna book I had begun several years ago. It's a culinary tribute to the blue-collar food I grew up eating. Park cookbook; part memoir.
I too hope we can get in sync again, Bee. I will have to get back to reading your "Bee Drunken," supposing it's still up and going.
What's new with you?