Making sense

Anne Lamott, on writing ...

"We are a species that needs and wants to understand who we are. Sheep lice do not seem to share this longing, which is one reason why they write so little. But we do. We have so much we want to say and figure out.”

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

FiftyFifty.Me -Movies 3 & 4

What's not to love in a movie about baseball, featuring America's honey Brad Pitt?
Moneyball was a homerun in my eyes. I know, I know, stupid, cliched pun. But still ... . Loved it, loved it, loved it. Pitt's portrayal of Billy Beane was fun to watch, what with the ever present khaki-pants-sports-polo uniform and tobacco-chewing spit cup. Just a well acted, feel-good movie. Jonah Hill was amazing, too. (Watched Sunday, Feb. 19, with HAS.)

Cancer sucks. I hate cancer. Cancer killed my dad in 2007; it's killing my aunt and my uncle. Given my hatred for the disease, and my at-times strange sense of humor, it is no wonder that I sat down to watch "50/50," a movie about a young man who has, as Seth Grogan's character states, "Level 4 back cancer." I LOVED this movie, all parts of it, including the silly and the sad. My favorite line, spoken by Grogan's character as he applies a healing ointment to his friend's fresh scar: "Man, this is some SAW shit." Just funny. Finding the humor in the serious and sad and tragic appeals to me. Definitely a five-star movie. (Watched Monday, Feb. 20, with Elizabeth.)

1 comment:

fiftyfifty.me said...

I think I'm gonna try to watch 50/50 and the Fault In Our Stars as a bookend theme. Plus the movie is called 50/50!