Making sense

Anne Lamott, on writing ...

"We are a species that needs and wants to understand who we are. Sheep lice do not seem to share this longing, which is one reason why they write so little. But we do. We have so much we want to say and figure out.”

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Some good advice

Don't know where I got this list of what-to-dos, but I'm sharing it this morning.  (A handwitten list, on two pages of spiral-torn note pages, discovered in the hutch, as I was looking for a cookbook.)Kind of a CliffsNotes on how to live happily and healthfully.

1) Spend at least one hour each week with a close friend.
2) Eat seafood twice a week or more; also, flax seeds.
3) Play with a dog a few minutes every day.
4) Take 600 millligrams of chromium picolinate a day (check with a doctor first ~)
5) Eat a bowl of fortified cereal every day (400 micrograms of folate)
6) Get a twelve-minute massage three times a week.
7) Pull an all-nighter.
8) Eat a whole-wheat English muffin smothered with jam.
9) Just bang on something!
10) Take a ten-minute walk three times a day.
11) First thing in the a.m., lie on your back with your head hanging over the edge.
12) Drink one or two cups of coffee each morning. (Duh.)
13) Look in the mirror and force your lips into a smile.
14) Sleep in a different bedroom.
15) Go easy on yourself. Give yourself permission to be a human being and not a human doing. (Am I mentally berating myself for some supposed failing? Replace negative thoughts with this phrase: I am doing the best I know how to do. When I know a better way and can do it, I will.)
16) Break out of my routine.
17) Get a day of vigorous exercise outdoors!

No comments: