Making sense

Anne Lamott, on writing ...

"We are a species that needs and wants to understand who we are. Sheep lice do not seem to share this longing, which is one reason why they write so little. But we do. We have so much we want to say and figure out.”

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Book #2 of 2015

Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake, by Anna Quindlen
 Once again, I found myself pissed that I was reading a library copy instead of a personal copy. I find it annoying that I cannot annotate or highlight adored passages in a borrowed book.
Instead, I marked favorite parts with magnetic bookmarks (a gift from a FB friend) and copied entire sections into my journal.

On exercise and body acceptance: (page 96)
"But I've finally recognized my body for what it is: a personality delivery system, designed expressly to carry my character from place to place, now and in the years to come. It's like a car, and while I like a red convertible or even a Bentley as well as the next person, what I really need are four tires and an engine. I don't require a hood ornament. It's not about how my body looks at this point; it's about how it works."

On why 2014 was such a sucky year for me: (page 153)
"Dan Gilbert, a psychology professor at Harvard who studies happiness, has said that one of the most traumatic experiences in the human span of life is unemployment. And retirement the way we once defined retirement is pretty much unemployment with a party beforehand."

On growing older: (page 170)
"I'm elated to have what the actress Laura Linney called 'the privilege of aging.' I'm living for two, for all the years, the decades, my mother never got." (Quindlen's mother died of cancer when the author was nineteen years old.)

When I do get some extra money, I will buy Quindlen's book and refer to it often. Excellent tome to aging and accepting and celebrating middle age.

No comments: