Making sense

Anne Lamott, on writing ...

"We are a species that needs and wants to understand who we are. Sheep lice do not seem to share this longing, which is one reason why they write so little. But we do. We have so much we want to say and figure out.”

Monday, October 13, 2008

A Chili Rain

It's rainy and mildly chilly in Kansas City. October has come. Daylight wanes.
It's chili time!
When I got home from work this evening the yummy aroma greeted me before I even opened the kitchen door coming in from the garage. Could it be ... ? Would it be ... ?
Yesssss! A pot on the stove of my honey's famous three-bean blend. Piping hot. Steam rising from the kettle. White porcelain bowls of shredded cheese and chopped sweet onion sitting on the counter. Scads of oyster crackers.
After a way-too-stressful day at school, the one-dish dinner was just what I needed.
And for dessert, a slice of my youngest's birthday cake, a delightful piece of white-cake heaven.
Thank goodness for simple suppers and sugary finishes.

2 comments:

Susan said...

Hey, Kate ~

I love that this post (praising your honey's culinary skills and initiatives) follows the one before (a month ago), bemoaning the same - the pendulum swings back (to where it belongs, I might add... :-)

Now I am craving chili - we here in South Florida have to wait a while longer for the weather to turn a bit cooler... or else manually manipulate the air conditioner to simulate colder climes!

Bee said...

We're all about comfort food these days. Will your husband share his recipe?