Making sense

Anne Lamott, on writing ...

"We are a species that needs and wants to understand who we are. Sheep lice do not seem to share this longing, which is one reason why they write so little. But we do. We have so much we want to say and figure out.”

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

No wonder that sandwich is so damned good

So I sleep in. I mean, waaaaaaay in, like I roll out of bed at 11:15, and of course I'm famished, having eaten nothing for 16 hours (hence the name: breakfast, as in break the fast), and so, what do I do? I petition my youngest, Elizabeth, to take my debit card to Panera and pick me up one of those uber-delicious baconturkeybravoontomatobasilbread delights, to which she is optimistic in her response: "Can I get one too?" Of course, I say, and 45 minutes later (this child also took my debit card to Starbucks, where she met up with a friend ~ no surprise) I am sitting in my living room balancing a plate on my lap,  holding a gargantuan bacon turkey bravo sandwich. Also, a bag of their chips. Also, a pickle spear, which always tastes better in a restaurant than one you plunk out of a jar at home.

But look at these nutrition facts ~  for HALF a sandwich, which I did not consume. I, fat girl that I am, I consumed the entire sandwich, along with the chips and the pickle. I ignored the "sigh" Weight Watchers Leader #18 talked about some years back. The sigh that babies get when they've drunk their fill, how they realized they're full and they spit out mama's nipple or the latex kind. Infants realize their satiety level; I, apparently, do not. So I ate the entire sandwich, even though my sigh came after just one bite into the second half.
That sandwich today just cost me 820 calories. Ouch.

Nutrition Facts
Panera Half Bacon Turkey Bravo on Tomato Basil
Calories 410Calories from Fat 140
% Daily Value
Total Fat15g23%
Saturated Fat 4.5g23%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol55mg18%
Sodium1460mg61%
Total Carbohydrate43g14%
Dietary Fiber 2g8%
Sugars 5g
Protein25g50%

No comments: