Making sense

Anne Lamott, on writing ...

"We are a species that needs and wants to understand who we are. Sheep lice do not seem to share this longing, which is one reason why they write so little. But we do. We have so much we want to say and figure out.”

Thursday, February 7, 2013

I have something to say

Today's gripes are numerous and somewhat unrelated.
1) Governor Chris Christie's weight should not be a hot-button topic right now. Why is the guy being derided for his size? Criticizing fat people is sort of like hating people for their skin color. Why is it acceptable to make fun of overweight people? I want to make a voodoo doll in the image of that former surgeon general who made the recent snide and inappropriate comment about the governor: "I fear he's going to die in office." With my homemade doll, I will poke her in the crudely sewn cloth backside and hope that she wakes with a killer backache. Skinny people do have aches and pains. Skinny people get cancer. Skinny people have strokes. Skinny people die in office.
2) My back hurts right now. I am not skinny. But when I was (1983-1985; 1991-1996), I got backaches. Also, headaches. I had raging PMS most of the time because I was hangry (hungry + angry).
3) I found the movie "Seeking a Friend for the End of the World" to be too depressing and not funny.
The movie was supposed to be funny! It was advertised as a romantic comedy. FUCK!
4) I am pissed at my husband because he dismissed my plea (last night, after viewing above- mentioned movie) to live a more exciting life. "We do not know how much time we have," I said. "Let's live large. Let's do something!"  Our life is like this: Work until 5:30. Eat dinner. Lounge on couch until bedtime, which is 8:15 p.m. for him and anywhere from 10:30 until 1 a.m. for me. Rinse. Repeat.
5) I can't read shit without my reading glasses.
6) I can't find my reading glasses 75 percent of the time.
7) Yes, I have multiple pairs. I am not an idiot.
8) My posterior tibialis is still hobbling me. After seven weeks of wearing a damned orthopedic boot, I go to the podiatrist yesterday for my check-up, tell him that my foot pain is worse, not better, and the pain is most severe when I walk in the boot. "Then stop wearing the boot," he tells me. It is an old joke I find not funny.
9) Tonight I have an MRI scheduled to figure out why my foot still hurts after nine weeks of pain. Should have shaved my legs this morning, but I awoke with a backache ~ and it's not because I'm fat. It's because I'm hobbling around like Quasimodo on account of this damned orthopedic boot.
10) Maybe someone has made a voodoo doll in my image.
11) My mother is dead. My aunt is dead. My father is dead. I find myself jealous of people my age who still have living parents and aunts.
12) The dogs got me up at 12:30 this morning. Bella was making her disgusting choking noises. Couldn't get back to sleep (me, not the dog), so I spent the next two hours on facebook. My left eye itched so badly that I rubbed it into a swollen mess. Finally got to sleep around 3 a.m. This morning, my eye was practically swollen shut.
13) I have $52 in my checking account.
14) My husband needs to un-ass some money.
15) A local eleven-year-old boy died two days ago from an asthma attack he'd had nine days earlier.
16) I suck at life. I have life and spend much of it complaining.

No comments: