Making sense

Anne Lamott, on writing ...

"We are a species that needs and wants to understand who we are. Sheep lice do not seem to share this longing, which is one reason why they write so little. But we do. We have so much we want to say and figure out.”

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

The Beginner's Goodbye ~

Book three of my reading challenge was an Anne Tyler title  ~ Anne Tyler, I say! ~ The Beginner's Goodbye. Although many critics kinda panned this novel (Tyler's newest) I enjoyed every single sentence. Loved the characters. Loved the plot. Loved the happy ending. I am a sucker for happy endings (because real life doesn't work that way), no matter how predictable.
I always hold Tyler's books close to my heart when I finish reading. Literally, I mean, I hold the novel against my chest and just feel so damned happy that I got to read it. My favorite? Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant. I could read that novel every year of my life and not tire of it.
(Truth be told: I would enjoy reading one of Anne Tyler's grocery lists.)
It always shocks me a little when a woman in my age group asks, "Anne Taylor? Tyler? Um, what does she write?"

No comments: